Okay, so maybe they aren’t all new, but you need to review this list of suggestions that can help make your holidays safe. Please feel free to share.
Shopping during the holiday season can present unique danger. Taking a few prevention measures can help keep your holiday season joyous. The holiday season is a time when busy people can become careless and vulnerable to theft and other holiday crime. The following tips from the Los Angeles Police Department Crime Prevention Section can help you be more careful, prepared and aware during the holiday season.
- Shop during daylight hours whenever possible. If you must shop at night, go with a friend or family member.
- Dress casually and comfortably.
- Avoid wearing expensive jewelry.
- Do not carry a purse or wallet, if possible.
- Always carry your driver’s license or identification along with necessary cash, checks and/or a credit card you expect to use.
- Even though you are rushed and thinking about a thousand things, stay alert to your surroundings.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Pay for purchases with a check or credit card when possible.
- Keep cash in your front pocket.
- Notify the credit card issuer immediately if your credit card is lost, stolen or misused.
- Keep a record of all of your credit card numbers in a safe place at home.
- Be extra careful if you do carry a wallet or purse. They are the prime targets of criminals in crowded shopping areas, transportation terminals, bus stops, on buses and other rapid transit.
- Avoid overloading yourself with packages. It is important to have clear visibility and freedom of motion to avoid mishaps.
- Beware of strangers approaching you for any reason. At this time of year, con-artists may try various methods of distracting you with the intention of taking your money or belongings.
Source: LAPD Crime Prevention Section
Shoveling snow is not a very easy job. We have some tips to keep you safe from the injuries commonly associated with snow removal around your manufactured home. In addition to following snow removal safety tips, it is always best to check with your doctor to make sure that it is all right for you to shovel snow. With the heavy snow falls that many people experience in winter you may want to own snow removal equipment that will make your job of shoveling snow much easier and almost fun. If snow shoveling is not for you or you just don’t have the time or energy to tackle it, then consider hiring a snow removal service to do it.
According to the 2013 US Consumer Product Safety Commission:
- Approximately 28,000 people were treated in hospital emergency rooms for injuries that happened while shoveling or removing ice and snow manually
- More than 6,000 people were injured using snowblowers
Consider these additional health and safety tips when you are removing snow.
General Tips for Safe Snow Clearing
- Dress appropriately. Light, layered, water-repellent clothing provides both ventilation and insulation. It is also important to wear the appropriate head covering and and thick, warm socks. Choose gloves or mittens that will keep your hands warm, dry, and blister-free. Avoid falls by wearing shoes or boots that have slip-resistant soles.
- Start early. Try to clear snow early and often–particularly if a large snowfall is expected. It is always best to begin shoveling/snowblowing when there is just a light covering of snow on the ground. Starting early will give you the best chance possible to avoid the potential injuries that come with moving packed, heavy snow.
- Make sure you can see. Be sure that you can fully see the area that you are shoveling/snowblowing. Do not let a hat or scarf block your vision. Watch for ice patches and uneven surfaces.
- Check with your doctor if you have any medical problems. Clearing snow places a great deal of stress on the heart–so if you have a medical condition or do not exercise regularly, you should speak with your doctor before shoveling or snow blowing. You may also wish to consider hiring someone to remove the snow, rather than doing it yourself.
So heed these snow shoveling safety tips and share them with your workers. Follow these snow shoveling tips for easy and safe shoveling.
Tips for Snow Shoveling
- Warm-up your muscles. Shoveling can be a vigorous activity. Before you begin this physical workout, warm-up your muscles for 10 minutes with light exercise.
- Pace yourself. Snow shoveling and snow blowing are aerobic activities. Take frequent breaks and prevent dehydration by drinking plenty of fluids. If you experience chest pain, shortness of breath, or other signs of a heart attack, stop the activity and seek emergency care.
- Proper equipment. Use a shovel that is comfortable for your height and strength. Do not use a shovel that is too heavy or too long for you. Space your hands on the tool grip to increase your leverage.
- Proper lifting. Try to push the snow instead of lifting it. If you must lift, do it properly. Squat with your legs apart, knees bent, and back straight. Lift with your legs. Do not bend at the waist. Scoop small amounts of snow into the shovel and walk to where you want to dump it. Holding a shovelful of snow with your arms outstretched puts too much weight on your spine. Never remove deep snow all at once–this is particularly important in the case of heavy, wet snow. Do it in pieces.
- Safe technique. Do not throw the snow over your shoulder or to the side. This requires a twisting motion that stresses your back.
Keep these snow blower safety tips in mind if you choose this snow removal method. Snow blowers make snow removal easier and faster than it used to be, but safety risks remain. Here are critical tips to remember for those who use snow removal equipment.
Tips for Snowblowing
- Never stick your hands in the snowblower! If snow jams the snowblower, stop the engine and wait more than 5 seconds. Use a solid object to clear wet snow or debris from the chute. Beware of the recoil of the motor and blades after the machine has been turned off.
- Proper supervision. Do not leave the snow blower unattended when it is running. Shut off the engine if you must walk away from the machine.
- Safe fueling. Add fuel before starting the snowblower. Never add fuel when the engine is running or hot. Be sure to always fuel your snowblower outside–rather than in a garage, shed, or enclosed area–to avoid being overwhelmed by engine fumes. Never operate the machine in an enclosed area.
- Avoid the engine. Stay away from the engine. It can become very hot and burn unprotected flesh.
- Use the pull-cord safely. To start a machine with a pull-cord, hold the cord firmly and stand with feet wide apart in a broad stance. If the cord does not move freely, do not force it. Sharply pulling a non-moving pull-cord may cause an injury to your upper body or back.
- Watch the snowblower cord. If you are operating an electric snow blower, be aware of where the power cord is at all times. If the cord becomes caught in the machine and is severed, or comes in contact with the engine and burns, you could receive a shock or become electrocuted.
- No tampering. Do not remove safety devices, shields, or guards on switches, and keep hands and feet away from moving parts.
- Watch for motor recoil. Beware of the brief recoil of motor and blades that occurs after the machine has been turned off.
- Keep children away. Never let children operate snowblowers. Keep children 15 years of age and younger away when snowblowers are in use.
- Understand your machine. Read the instruction manual prior to using a snowblower. Be familiar with the specific safety hazards and unfamiliar features. Do not attempt to repair or maintain the snowblower without reading the instruction manual.
Original Source http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00060
Christmas is right around the corner and you must be thinking of great outdoor Christmas decorating ideas to spread some holiday cheer to every aspect of your manufactured house, especially your front yard to share the joy with each passer-by. One of the best parts of Christmas is the hanging of the lights. Outdoor Christmas light displays on houses evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Hanging Christmas lights is popular and traditional for many families. Christmas lights have been one of the most popular Christmas decorations for the past century. Christmas mini lights were introduced in the mid to late 1970’s. You can be the brightest house in the neighborhood this Christmas.
An outdoor Christmas decoration can be an important addition to any holiday season. Let’s face it. Hanging outdoor Christmas lights isn’t always the best part of the holiday lights. Outdoor Christmas lights now come in a variety of colors, just like indoor Christmas lighting. This is one of the best Christmas decorating ideas for your manufactured home. Include your landscape in your outdoor lighting ideas this Christmas. Choosing the best Christmas light clips for the project is key. There are a huge number of things you can do with Christmas lights to create just the look you want to. Whether it is outdoor Christmas lights or indoor Christmas lights you use, the house will look extra special during this time of year. Before going any further, be aware that setting up a Christmas light show as part of your outside Christmas decorations take a lot of time and patience.
People have all different kinds of ideas about decorating their home for Christmas. One of the Christmas yard decorating ideas is to have a snowman theme. One can make use of different ideas for making and decorating Christmas wreaths. It is easy to make all the outdoor decorations that have no lights of their own visible at night as well by just pointing flood lights to them. A new innovative outdoor Christmas decoration idea would be to make use of giant inflatable Christmas yard decorations. Outdoor Christmas garland is probably one of the trickiest design elements in outdoor Christmas decor.
The best time for hanging Christmas and outdoor holiday lights is before your weather turns wet and cold. When it comes to hanging outdoor lights, safety needs to come first. There are some very important safety tips to keep in mind when hanging Christmas led lights. Ladders should always be present when you’re hanging Christmas lights. When outdoor Christmas lights are used in outdoor applications, connect the outdoor Christmas lights to a ground fault circuit interrupting GFCI electrical three pronged outlet.
Small Business Saturday started in 2010 and has since taken off as a philosophy to strengthen small business owners on the Saturday just after Thanksgiving. Local merchants all over are celebrating Small Business Saturday. Small Business Saturday is committed to helping small businesses do more business. Begun as a counter-step to the turmoil referred to as Black Friday in 2010, Small Business Saturday occurs on the Saturday after Thanksgiving (for 2015 it is November 28). The majority of people really don’t comprehend how vital small business Saturday is for the country’s economy. The gift buying holiday presses on with Small Business Saturday (even though shouldn’t everyday be Small Business Day?).
Small Business Saturday is also a great time to bring the town all together. Small Business Saturday is a day for small companies to present bargains and discounts. And as a small business owner whether or not it is actually your first time partaking or you have likely been observing for years, there are a couple of Small Business Saturday recommendations you should really take advantage of in 2015. Come up with an exclusive event or do a little something diverse on Small Business Saturday. Make the Small Business Saturday affair feel like a significant celebration at your small business.
Small Business Saturday is our time to say thanks to our small businesses for all that they provide for us through out every year. The first reason to stop and shop in your neighborhood is to help to keep dollars in the neighborhood economy. Purchasing in your community provides sustainable neighborhood business. It is hardly possible to buy and produce every single thing locally, however there are perhaps more local options readily available than most buyers realize. But you don’t have to set foot inside a store to assist a small business on Small Business Saturday. Please remember that when you shop at locally owned businesses this holiday season, you’re purchases give a gift back to our community and local economy. Obviously locally owned businesses support the creation of more local jobs.
Check out Small Business Saturday on Facebook to learn more. Then, come shop small with them on Small Business Saturday.
Today, Wednesday, November 11th, Americans will celebrate Veterans Day. This day is a very important day in American history and ought to be valued for its meaning. Lots of people continue to confuse Veterans Day and Memorial Day. Individuals frequently think that Memorial Day and Veterans Day are commemorated for the same purpose. Veterans Day is a day of remembrance, a day to observe the men and women who have fought to keep our liberty. For a start, Memorial Day is when we bear in mind those individuals who sacrificed their existences for us, while Veterans Day is when we praise living veterans for their service to the country. Veterans Day honors living veterans – the U.S. has another holiday, Memorial Day, to honor its war perished.
Even though the Americans commemorate it as Veterans Day today, for other nations it’s the Armistice Day or Remembrance Day. Shortly after the Korean War (1950-1953), in the course of which over 36,000 Americans died, Congress considered making Armistice Day a day to commemorate veterans of all wars, not simply those who served in World War I. In 1954, President Eisenhower endorsed a bill proclaiming the holiday a recognition of all wars and changing its name to Veterans Day. Veterans Day is a federal holiday kept on November 11 in the United States in tribute of all the armed forces veterans who served the nation. Veterans Day is a governmental holiday that is committed to recognizing anyone which has served in the United States military. In contrast to other federal holidays, generally there are numerous banks open on Veterans Day, but the tally is condensed. Veterans Day continues to be celebrated on November 11, regardless of exactly what day of the week on which it falls.
From free meals to discounts on LP deliveries, countless companies put forward discounts to military personnel and veterans on Veterans Day. Applebee’s: This restaurant chain grants veterans any of seven entrees free of charge on Veterans Day each year. Olive Garden Free Meal – All veterans and military active duty will be given a free meal from a very special menu on Veterans Day. Change your porch lighting to green on Veterans Day for a week to display to our Veterans that they are Remembered.
Our veterans have served their life in protecting our nation and people. Veterans Day is a wonderful occasion because it makes it possible for a lot of our heroes to really feel valued if only for this one particular day. In the event that you can’t telephone or visit, American Greetings has absolutely free Veterans Day e-cards available that you can transmit by email message, or you might simply post a thoughtful quotation on Twitter or Facebook to recognize the vets in your social network. You may assume that the younger generation is unconscious to the history behind all of them, but their easy access to technology may be simply the engagement you need to archive the living history in your midst and bring all of them a personal connection to the recent past.
As summertime starts to unwind and the changing leaves mark the end of hot, stifling weather, family pets anxiously await the cooler weather. This shifting of the seasons ushers in comfort, but can also offer certain possible dangers that are special to the season. Learning to identify these hazards will keep your pet away from trouble and comfortable in the newly arriving season.
Managing To Keep Warm
As the season changes, particularly in the northern part of the country, vehicles kept outdoors become attractive places for cats as they try to warm themselves in the engine compartment. They may suffer fan belt injuries if they can’t get out from under your hood promptly. A good safety measure to take may be to beep your horn three times and after that wait five to ten seconds prior to cranking the engine. To be beyond safe you may perhaps even want to open the hood and conduct a visual assessment. Your neighbor’s cat will thank you.
While on the topic of heat, animals that enjoy a greater part of their time outdoors will need some additional attention during this time. Continue to brush your family pet (especially dogs), but let their fur grow out and don’t comb out their undercoat. Frostbite is also a consideration in extremely cold weather. Just as in humans, household pets are susceptible to frostbite on the extremities. Paws, ears, nose and tail need to be inspected for gray or red color skin that is painful to the touch. Extreme frostbite will show as painless and very hard to the touch. Seek professional help right away if you suspect your pet has frostbite. These family pets will also require more food as their body systems will use more energy to generate more heat. Check their water as frequently as you can to make certain it’s not iced up.
Household Chemical Safeties
Be careful when taking care of and using chemicals around the house. Salt used for melting snow and ice on sidewalks may possibly be extremely aggravating if it gets in between your pet’s toes. Take precautions when winterizing your vehicle as antifreeze has a sweet taste that can entice pets, but is extremely toxic. Consider investing in safer, animal friendly antifreeze.
Keeping Lively Inside Your Home
Last but not least, if your family pet will be killing more time inside your home, they may not be getting the physical exercise they need to use up energy. Find an activity your cat can possibly do inside your home to remain active such as scratching posts, batting a ball or climbing stackable cubes will help them relax. When it comes to dogs, focusing on training sessions may not be as physically challenging, but the concentration needed may possibly be equally as exhausting. The included benefit is a well behaved dog in your house. Fall weather might be beautiful and the cool temperatures can come as a reprieve. Keeping your pet safe doesn’t take very much effort and by doing this you can take pleasure in the season with each other.